Name:
Location: San Jose, California, United States

Friday, August 12, 2005

Vacation Bible School July 2005

July was pretty low-key, except for the week of the 11th through the 15th. That was the week of my church's Vacation Bible School (VBS) where children come to learn about God and participate in lots of fun activities. The event was for children, ages 2 through entering sixth grade. I've helped with this week for several years. This year I was a leader for the preschool craft room. Every day, the children would come and create something that went along with the story for the day. I was a little unsure how it would work with Jaba, but everything went smoothly. I work with the preschool on Sundays, so most of the kids were familiar with Jaba. On the first day I explained to each class why he was there and what he does for me. I explained that they could help train him by leaving him alone and letting him listen to me and do his job. I think the kids were excited to be able to help me train him. Jaba behaved perfectly. At times I could tell he wanted to play with the kids, but he listened to my every word and held all his commands. I was so proud of him.
Most of the time, Jaba stayed under a table while I helped the kids do the craft. However, he helped me greet the kids every morning and say good-bye in the afternoon. And he quickly became a kind of celebrity. We leaders had a little snack break in the middle of the day. On the first day, I gave Jaba the job of carrying my water bottle from the snack room to the craft room. The lady in charge of the snack room always kept a bottle of water on the side so that Jaba could carry it for me rather than having to use a cup. It was fun to see Jaba when the water bottle came out. He knew what was coming and he got excited and looked so proud of himself.
The week went very well and I look forward to many more VBS's in the years to come. Once I get my pictures back from the week, I'll put a few up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home